In this interview with Dr. Jeffrey Kingsley, we talk about what it takes to start and manage a clinical trial site, the world of site networks, how an investigator can decide whether or not a clinical study is worth their time, volunteering for the Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP), Food and Drug Administration (FDA) audits, books and a lot more.
Dr. Kingsley is the President and CEO; Institute for the Advancement of Clinical Trials DBA IACT Health and an owner of 11 clinical trial sites.
He is a Fellow at Association of Clinical Research Professionals. Dr. Kingsley graduated with a master’s in business administration from Emory University, a doctorate in osteopathic medicine from Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, a master’s in science, biochemistry and a bachelor’s of science, biology, chemistry, history, cultural anthropology from the University of Scranton.
Please join me in this value-packed interview with Dr. Jeffrey Kingsley.
Selected links from the episode:
Dr. Jeff Kingsley on LinkedIn
The Ideal Team Player: How to Recognize and Cultivate The Three Essential Virtues by Patrick M. Lencioni
- [05:45] plan for volatility when starting a clinical trial site from scratch
- [07:56] we’re all responsible for ensuring the appropriate clinical research training
- [09:41] be conscious of your expenses as a clinical trial site
- [12:01] tools or processes starting your own sites
- [12:32] the importance of getting yourself plugged into the industry
- [13:11] joining a site network and why they are not all created equal
- [15:34] the importance of differentiation and how sites are the most fragmented side of the research industry
- [17:42] I actually got seven majors in my undergrad
- [18:34] broaden your experience, the more you can see outside of the box
- [20:30] Lessons learned as a union factory worker
- [22:50] most critical skill in my opinion in research is the ability to gain that level of competence where you can think independently
- [24:35] how to decide whether or not a clinical study is worth your time?
- [28:13] how can somebody get involved with ACRP and why it’s important?
- [30:26] ACRP certification
- [33:04] you can get a job in the industry in an atypical fashion
- [34:34] FDA audits
- [37:47] Should sponsors conduct investigator meetings and whether sites should charge for their time to participate in such meetings
- [41:54] remote versus risk based monitoring, what are the difference
- [44:35] the future is risk based monitoring
- [45:57] Use CTMS to conduct clinical trials more effectively
- [47:24] how do you go about finding a ctms solution
- [48:23] define what “superman” looks like
- [49:48] objectify the subjective
- [52:32] negotiating study budgets and using data to drive your conversation
- [58:34] how can a site ensure that clinical data quality is top notch
- [1:00:46] Hire quality individuals, pay attention to their capacity and making sure they have the tools to be successful
- [1:12:32] Not being average and revolutionizing research